9:09 pm - John
As Rima mentioned below, Hex has indeed moved up to the PG-13 rating from PG. This decision was made for many reasons, one of the main ones being that factually, 90% of active users are thirteen and older. Also, as many of you may remember, in 2010, we took a global, detailed poll asking everyone what they thought about switching to PG-13. Here are the results:
|I'm 13 years of age or older and I'm for the idea||73.1%|
|I'm 13 years of age or older and against the idea ||18.2%|
|I'm under the age of 13 and wouldn't be allowed to use the site anymore||2%|
|I'm under the age of 13 and would still be allowed to use the site||6.5%|
With this change, the Terms have been completely revamped and updated. Some notable things about the new terms:
- Many new words are allowed that weren't before. Just because the words are allowed does not mean that one should start posting threads to say those words for the fun of it. That's considered spam.
- Words that are never
allowed are clearly defined. Now that they are so clearly defined, use of any of the disallowed words on Hex will result in an automatic Azkaban sentence. To see the list, please click the link located in rule number twelve on the Terms.
- A notable new rule that may be overlooked: If you use the [like] function in the forums, you must now include a minimum of one sentence as to why you liked the thread you are replying to.
- Our no tolerance policy for bullying is even more clearly defined now in rule number eight. Also, with all of the issues of bullying in the past year, we felt it appropriate to add a bullying policy page. This page can now be viewed by clicking the link titled, "Bullying" located at the bottom of every page.
With all of these changes, there is now a filter option located under Preferences in My Hex. Please turn this filter on if PG-13 material offends you. Parents will also have the option to leave this filter permanently on for their kids (simply contact us with the account name).
The staff and global moderators have spent months developing the new ways and system for PG-13 on Hex. The switch was by no means immediate. Everything was carefully thought out and planned. If you have any questions, feel free to contact an administrator, staff member, or global moderator.
Lastly with the switch to PG-13: The Hex staff may occasionally decide a page should not be viewable to those under the age of thirteen. If this occurs, then scripting will be used to prevent the user from viewing the particular page.
Note: If you are under the age of thirteen, you are not
being kicked off the site.
In addition to all of this, enrollment is now officially closed. The invitation system will now be the only way people may sign up for the website for the time being. Everyone is given five
invites to start. Please note that people you invite will be carefully tracked to ensure no multiple accounts are being created. If you want more invitations, ways are currently being developed for you to attain more, but in the short term, here is the break down:
- Referral Program: For every user you invite, if they join HEX and stay for 30 days (active), you get 2 invites at the end of that 30 days.
- Donations: $10 - 5 invites $20 - 10 invites $25 - 15 invites $50 - 30 invites $75 - 50 invites $100 - 75 invites
Enrollment will remain closed indefinitely. Please do not ask the staff when it will open again.
With all of this, as many of you know, this August will mark Hex's tenth anniversary. With that, the staff already has many things planned for Hex in the coming months. Along with celebrating the movie release in July, many new features are in the works, all leading up to the special day in August. It is an exciting year for the site, and we are excited for what is to come for the site as a whole.
As always, the Hex staff would like to thank everyone that participates on Hex, as all of you really are the ones that make it great. Thank you.